Saturday, March 28, 2009

Happy Camper here I come!

Being on the road racing almost every weekend last year had me realize a couple things (well, a lot of things, but I will only a mention a couple things now). First, I love the racing scene in general and I really enjoy the places that racing takes a person to. Second, I was always bummed that after the race was over, I had to leave and go hole up in a hotel room on a perfectly good summer day. So after many hours of decision making I have decided on purchasing a camper. I'm starting kinda small at 23 foot with fold down beds on both ends, and chose a pull behind in case I would ever need to speed off in the Pathfinder. I'm going small for a couple reasons. One was because I don't want to run people over with a huge rv behind me, and also because I don't want the cost of pulling a huge rv all over the East unless I'm sure I will use it as much as I think I will. Plus, these hybrid campers are really cool. They have a great space to weight ratio and they have most of the luxuries of a hotel. I'm totally excited. Looks like Anne and I will get to travel down to BCSP this coming weekend and see just how good of a decision I made. I camped long term pretty much my whole childhood with my family and friends, but now I'm taking the show on the road some years later.
I have been loving the new ride, and feeling a little stronger everyday little by little. I knew the comeback would take some time, but I'm a little surprised how some people don't realize what it takes to come back. At 7 weeks out of the cast I have had lots of people ask if I'm back racing yet. Racing? Are they kidding me? I had large drill bits drilled through my fibula people. I laid on the couch for 9 days straight and only got up to go to the restroom. Then I logged another 5 weeks of minimal daily activity. That's it. Not much to brag about training wise. I guess the only way to make my fitness any worse would have been to suck down a few sodas and munch on fast food. Anyway, this is gonna take some time. Not only to continue to heal and get back to 100%, but also to gain back my racing fitness. There is no easy button.  Thankfully,  I am not falling to the temptation of desire to race. I think that has a lot to do with trusting Coach Don's judgement and knowing that if I follow his plan, good results will happen (like winning National Championship races). If you want to win and do well you have to suffer through a few immediate wants that you can't have. What's really the goal? 

1 comment:

Emily said...

Oh dannng girrrl, traveling in style.