Saturday, March 14, 2009

Saved by tacos and Bayou grocery

Well, there has been so much going on here on my Team DRT Nicke solo training camp, but I will try and make it as short as possible.  Friday was more laying on the beach before heading off on a ride. I could have stayed there all day but I did come to ride. I headed down scenic route 30a along the Gulf the entire way. This route was straight up sweet! Gulf views the whole time while going in and out of fresh little coastal towns. As sweet as it was I was really not feeling the ride. My lack of recent saddle time had me hurting in many ways. Arms, shoulders, butt, and ankle were all screaming at me so I took several breaks and squeezed out around 56 miles. Not as much as I wanted, but still great time for me at the 10 week post-op point. The other problem was me starving the whole time. It didn't make it any better since every town had so many great looking eateries along the way. I wanted to stop at them all! I finally gave into the strong cyclist call for mexican and grabbed a seaside taco. I was ready to eat my Gu wrappers at that point, so the taco was like the best ever! It is unusual for me to eat that much on a ride, but I think I was a little under calorie from the day before.  I finished the day with my meal waiting for me from my take along chef (Mom) and then hit the hot tub under the stars by the seaside. 

Saturday:
Today was a planned group ride with a local bike shop. The plan was to ride an out and back with this group for their 30 miles then add about 60 more myself.  Let me just say that this was the strangest group ride I have ever been on. I started out with them about 5th wheel of the 30 some riders. I was told once by someone to peel off and fall back because the local riders all ride at the front. Okay, so I fell back a couple people. Then an older guy of about half my half of skill level told me to fall back again because I was riding in his place. I didn't know that a pace line had assigned spots??? So then the group leader pulled us all off the road and stopped to tell us that only local riders were allowed to ride at the front and guest at the rotten back. I don't think so (and you want to be my latex salesman). So I was pissed and followed their rules until the 15 mile mark and me and another "normal" cyclist took off for a great ride on our own. I guess I'm a bike snob, but they just didn't seem right to me. After my ride with Alabama fighter pilot minister man, I took off on my own for another 45 miles (of 90 total) and had a great time. Except where I about ran out of glycogen. I finally ran into Nick's Bayou cafe. It was a run down shack that smelled of oysters (but food none- the- less), and I was starving. I asked for a candy bar and the lady told me that they didn't have any, but if I bought one at the grocery 2 miles away I could bring it back and they could deep fry it for me. I don't think so. I headed to the Bayou grocery and ate a non-fried snickers and it saved my life. Now I'm toasted and a 1 hour easy spin in the morning will finish my great mini post- ankle reconstruction camp here in the flats. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like a fun group to ride with...

Unknown said...

Hey Nicole,
Enjoyed riding with you on Saturday. I sent an eerily similary message to my riding group here in Montgomery. What a bizarre group ride. Good luck with your training.

Alabama Fighter Pilot Minister Guy

Nicole Borem said...

Hey H, good to see you found the site! Thanks again for the ride. Have fun this season and rip it up.
Nicole

Anonymous said...

Floridians are assholes. I went for a personal century down there and got lost. Suffering from heat exaustion without water for 50 miles. I tried to flag down cars, but nobody would help. I went to 5 houses before I could find someone to give me warm water out of a hose! -Sgt