Friday, March 13, 2009

Florida is finally here!


So we finally made it to lovely Fort Walton. It seems like it took us forever to drive here. We made a stop to drop off my grandmother at her family in London, KY and probably lost a few hours that way, but that's okay, I really wanted her to visit the fam since she really can't drive that far herself anymore. I think it took us around 18 hours total and I was sooo happy to get out of a car. My ankle was so huge and by the end it was kinda funny because I couldn't even slip it into my croc sandle. It took it a while before I felt it wasn't going to explode. Thursday just rocked all around. Mom, Dad and I sat on the beach all morning and got sunburned (that was rough). I am thinking that walking in the sand is really great therapy for my ankle. We collected some shells and I saw a washed up puffer fish. I was really excited about that being the nature nerd that I am.  In the afternoon I headed out on a sweet 66 mile, 4 hour ride. Even though Florida doesn't have much to look at aside from the coast, it was a great ride for me because it is so flat. I had some spectacular views along the way of various bays and of the Gulf. Florida also gets major props for their extensive bike lanes everywhere. That was so nice! It took me 4 hours ride time, so that's a slower ride for me, but I was pleased with my ability to make it that long in the saddle at this point in my comeback. A couple times I thought my foot was gonna pop, but I took a short break and it came around. After the ride I spent the evening with the parents and really enjoyed their company.
So I'm up and at it early today, sipping on some coffee and just listening to the waves hit the white sandy beaches.  I think I will go walk the beach in a little while my parents are still sleeping. Then head to the hot tub before departing on another day of riding. I hope to get in another 4-5 hours, depending on the ankle. Then make it back in time for the
 sunset on the beach and homemade food from Mom!
 I feel so blessed sometimes it blows me away!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for stopping and getting me! al was on spring break last week.

Nicole Borem said...

Sorry Tin, it was such a quick planned trip that I didn't even think of it. We headed way east anyway to drop Mother off at London on the way. Hope you all had a good break though. Love you.