Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Hung out to dry!

This spring weather we are having is cracking me up. At least it isn't cracking me. So I spend 20 minutes yesterday getting on the multiple layers to go ride in the massive wind only to have my whole bottom half drenched with rain in about 10 minutes. Then the rain stopped the very minute I was finished. Ha! If it hasn't been raining it has been 20-30 mph winds here and sometimes both together. I was wandering on my rainy ride yesterday if there was any benefit to my complexion by having rain slam into my face at 20 mph+. I really couldn't think of any. I spent a great deal of mental effort yesterday trying to figure out how riding in the rain was helpful to me. I finally just resolved myself to the fact that my competition was training someplace else that wasn't so challenging, therefor giving me a hand up in cyclocross at some point.
 Honestly though, I rather didn't mind the cold, windy, rainy ride. Maybe that's not right, but as I say, once a person resolves themselves to something it isn't that bad. That goes for pretty much anything in life. You take what your given,  and just go with it and make of it what you can. If you don't like it, you put the effort in to change it. 
So, everything I have is just about dried out for me to hide in the basement and ride the trainer today after work. I knew it was gonna be a trainer day when I looked out at the birds on the feeder and they were blown away by the wind. I have a short ride of 1 hour planned today and that works out okay on the trainer. It also gives me a good excuse to get in 2 episodes
 of Battle star Galactica watched. My sister will be happy since a trainer ride means less laundry. She does the laundry and house cleaning in exchange for a free place to live. She hates Spring/ Winter and Fall because bike layers are constant. She said the best part of my surgery was no bike clothes to wash and no bender to clean everyday from recovery smoothies. I'm glad I could help her out with that, but would rather not have had to had surgery. 
Otherwise, I'm off for a few days from work and down to Brown County!  I hope to meet up with a several friends for some great long rides. Maybe the hills will break the wind a little. I won't know what to do with no wind, I'll feel so fast.

1 comment:

Lindsay Hall-Stec said...

Benefit to your complexion? Why that red, peeling nostrils look that's all the rage this season, of course!

I hope the ankle is healing well and that you'll be back to racing soon.