Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Short ride, long drive, short sleep.

Florida just had  to come to an end. I took a long look off the deck of the condo before heading out on my recovery ride early in the morning. My plan was to get in about a 45 minute spin to get the crap out of my legs before getting more in my legs from driving. I took off along the island road and actually the legs and ankle were feeling surprisingly great from my long rides the previous days. That was super encouraging to see I am recovering from the efforts.  I just rode along the local houses and picked me out a few I would move into in my little dream world... then the dreams ended when I flatted at about 37 minutes. So I decided to call it a trip instead of change the tire since I was right by the condo and a little short on time to check out. Regardless, it is always fun to cruise along on a recovery ride in a new place.
                                   Picture of the ride in front of our condo before I flatted.

After the ride we packed the Pathfinder up and hung out at the beach for a few and watched the real spring breakers roll in. As much as I hated to leave, I don't think I would ever make Florida my home because it lacks any great mountain biking from  what I was finding. Even though many my mock me about mtb in IN, we still do pretty good here and always have good riding in a few hours drive. Anyway, the wind starting picking up and spitted the gulf mist up at us, so we decided to hit the road before we were drenched. 
                       Dad, Mom and me by the dunes at condo before hitting the road.

So then it was a lot of driving, and more driving. I really do think I slept drove through most of Alabama. Either it was boring or I was very sleepy. We finally hit Knoxville and called it a night.  We were back at it early on the rode again hoping to get to view the great smokey's beauty, but it was not to be. We found out why they are the Smokey's because it was totally foggy for a long, long time and pretty much stared into the fog most of the drive. Well, at least Mom and I did, Dad slept in the back seat almost the entire way. Lucky dog. 
After picking up Grandma in KY we were on the home stretch and I was getting totally stiff from being in the car. By the time we hit home my ankle was so swollen it could hardly move. The toes were fat as could be and I didn't even recognize my own foot! It felt like my belly after Christmas diner. 
                                                          This is a very fat foot for me!
        It was a great trip and all of us had a great time. In the end I was happy that I decided to not go to team camp in NC. I wasn't ready for it, but it was great to find out that I have a good base and can still train. It will be a later start for me this year, but all set backs have hidden treasure, and I hope to have found a start to my treasures on the beaches of Fort Walton.  Like they say, "it is what you make it." 

No comments: