Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Baby sausage anyone?


Well surgery is all over and things went as good as expected. The ankle is reconstructed and now its a waiting game.  A few things of note from my surgery crew were that it was a good thing I did this now as the joint was looking pretty sloppy and some signs of abnormal wear (arthritis) were starting to take place. I guess the big incision that is usually made was broken into 2 separate smaller ones. I guess my whining about big scars to the surgeon helped. I was heartbroken late yesterday when my surgeon informed me that no physical therapy could be started until week 6 when the cast comes off. He said it was too fragile of a repair to ruin by not giving it a chance to heal. Not what I had in mind!  I have a cast on the lower leg that weighs a ton. My good friend Janet was my sleeper and she was awsome as usual. Probably too awsome because after getting home late in the day I felt really good and started to think this would be a cake walk compared to shoulder surgery.
Boy was I fooled! Sleep was impossible because of the pain once all the drugs wore off. The swelling has set in and my toes are sausages... and I don't even like meat. Thank goodness for Lortab and this cool compression/ice machine called the game ready.
 Seeing how I can hardly even make it to the bathroom without my sisters help, I am stuck on the couch. I have been able to get some resumes out to bike companies for next year to supplement my DRT benefits, so that is good.  Today I think I will get some stuff up for sale on ebay and hopefully start the eclipse book. Man, that's a full day planned.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Nice post-op picture. Dang, 6 weeks of doing nothing is a whole lot of nothing. Hope things get back on track quick when you start physical therapy.