Thursday, January 15, 2009

Crazy Squirrels

First look at the incision, not too bad. 
Well, my boredom with being stuck at home has lead me to be entertained by watching squirrels. Being an avid bird watcher, I keep the birds happy with the feed and that also attracts the crazy squirrels. I must say, they have mad skills, as much as I hate them eating my bird food. They are nimble, crafty and mad jumpers while risking life to get a nut!
Obviously I'm still stuck in handicap mode. It has been an interesting week, I got back to work with the help of the scooter on Monday night after I had a trip to the ER myself. Which is kinda funny because I was back in the ER that evening doing a lumbar puncture for a patient. By yesterday I was completely done in. That's humbling for an elite athlete to admit. 
So, its official, I have major nerve damage from the swelling in the cast. I had to get out of the cast early and into the storm trooper boot because the ankle swelled too much in the cast. And that's what had me make a trip to the ER, in order to make sure the damage wasn't getting worse. No surprise, I kinda knew that was happening. My great toe is going to be numb and nonfunctional for a few months, but I really don't need that until cross season. I have severe pain on top of my foot that I go to PT everyday for to try and get under control. It's getting a little better I guess. The real bummer is that I am delayed in getting back to the gym. My surgeon says he has a bounty on my head with about 10 scouts if anyone sees me trying to get my fix in the gym. Since he won't give me names, I'm not gonna risk it.  Good news is that the actual reconstruction is looking like it is on track.
So I am dependent on my super support people right now. My sister is a rock star at this, she is the best manager and sister ever! Finally got to the chiro-cracker; Matt Johnson rocks the house for sure! Coach Don G has revealed his hidden skill of mental therapist, and I wander how long it will take before he thinks I'm really crazy. I'm crazy but very thankful for my family peeps, sleeper Janet V, faithful Anne Y,  superman John C, and I am blessed to have PT guru's and overall great guys Tom Johnson and Dan Tucker around to fix me up. I already know I'm crazy, but good crazy and these people help keep me there. 
In good news, I heard from GU management last night and they have offered me to join their pro team co-sponsorship in addition to my main DRT team! This is great news since I love their products and have always felt their stuff works well with me. That just puts one more piece in the puzzle for me to turn up the whole pro package this year! I hope more companies come through and I can take some more time to devote to training.  In the meantime I have the flying squirrels to keep my mind on extreme sports. 

1 comment:

Emily said...

I recently thought of you because I saw cookie and cake mixes with no eggs in the ingredients or ingredients to add. They're retarded priced though.

http://www.cherrybrookkitchen.com/products/gf_sugarcookie.php

http://www.cherrybrookkitchen.com/products/gf_choccake.php