Sunday, February 27, 2011

"Debbie Downer... you may leave anytime!"

Well, I guess you could say I have definitly been avoiding a blog post as of late. Actually, I really haven't had the energy to write one since these days it's about all I can do to make it through my work day, do my personal requirements and get off my foot as soon as I can. I try to do my best to go about my normal day with a positive attitude, pretending I'm not in severe pain, and trying to walk in the most natural way I can. After a long run with this foot, I'm pretty tired of explaining what's "wrong" with my foot to every person I come on contact with so I try to be as normal as possible. I know people are being nice, but if I don't really know who you are, I don't really want the added reminder of my problem. That being said; I am overly thankful to those of you that I do know that have said a prayer, a kind word, or had me in your thoughts over this whole ordeal. I can't thank those of you enough... sometimes, aside from my faith, those little things are all that keep me looking forward. I really do still believe that someday I will make it through all this and come out even stronger in the long run. I do believe there is hope for my future and that God wouldn't send me through this struggle unless He had some big plan ahead of me. I'm just riding out the storm right now.

So sorry for the Debbie Downer blog post here. I'll keep it short, but wanted to give everyone an update to answer some of the questions. Since the last post, I've had a steady downfall with my foot. I had a EMG/ NCT about a week ago to narrow things down more with the source of the foot/ heel pain. It came out positive for Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome. This was no surprise to me, and even though I was happy to be getting some more information pinned down, I wasn't too happy to have another known problem with my foot. TTS is kinda similar to the pathology of the well known carpel tunnel of the wrist, except it's a bit more tricky and more painful given that it is in a weight bearing joint. After that, I was back in the cast to give it some rest until we found out why I was having the decreased room in the tunnel itself. As much as I hated to go back in the boot, I was almost relieved to do so, as every step was a challenge.

Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome


(Location of Tarsal Tunnel>>>>)

So after that we decided to get a MRI to get more information. Given my busy work schedule last week, I had a few days delay to be able to get it done and I have not got the results of it thus far.

So I anxiously await to results to be able to know a little more about my outcome. Given that I'm in so much pain, and that the results can hopefully give me some direct answers, it's pretty much all I think about and it seems to be consuming me right now, but I'm trying really hard to just trust the Lord's hand at this and not get too overwhelmed by it all. Hopefully, I can find out more information on Monday or Tuesday when Dr P is back in his office. Until then, I remain in the cast and have been using the crutches when I am at home and out shopping to take the ease off the tunnel. I even rode the stupid cart at Walmart the other day... which was waay to slow for my taste!

I've also been on some heavy duty prednisone to see if we can't calm down the inflammation (if that's what it is) and as much as I hate being on steroids for the crazy side effects, I am willing to try almost anything at this point in the game.

So I've also been off the bike for the last 7 days to see if this will help too. Actually, as much as I hate to admit it; I'm not able to tolerate the pain that riding causes at this point.
As most of you know, there have been very few things in my life that have kept me from riding and I usually feel I can work through almost any injury to make it out to ride and train, but this has proven to be either too much for this injury or just too much more for my body to take at this point. So I'm left with no other option to sit it out for a while until I have more information and can get the word from the doctor on what to do next. Whatever it is, I just want it to be over really soon and have some sort of plan to work with. Not having any control or idea of what the future of this foot is going to do is very frustrating! In the meantime, I'm doing everything I know how to help myself get better, be smart, and get back on my two feet again....
and not be to much of a Debbie Downer.

One of these days I promise to post a positive, positive future blog!




No comments: