Saturday, March 26, 2011

A Month I Won't Miss


(Hello again!)

It's been a long hiatus from the blog for me, but it's seems it's time to get things back up and going as spring is in the air. I've been having a rough time with the tarsal tunnel and some things in life are just too personal to post on a public blog. Actually, some things are so personal that you really can't even explain them to the people who are the closest to you. For the past 2 months I haven't been anywhere near myself and aside from the hopelessness of seeing no end in sight, I will go so far as to say I was physically suffering more than I ever have in my life. All of that combined with the seemingly constant illness, surgery, and recovery had me mentally at my limit. Anyway, that's all I really have to say about it and you won't hear me talk about it much on my group rides, in public, or in my everyday life... it's been hard, painful, and it's very personal. It's not a badge of honor and you won't hear me carry on about it like some people do with injuries or surgeries they have. It's almost too painful to speak about and I find the most painful casual question these days is "How are you?" Well, I hate lying about that response you know.

So for a quick run down: after months of doctors visits and tests and another minor procedure, I do have severe tarsal tunnel syndrome. We recently did another steroid injection and it seems to be giving me about 75% pain relief right now which is huge. Up until the last couple days I needed the scooter or crutches to walk any distance or work, and it seems like I may be able to ditch those after 2 days of full walking. The only small blessing has been that riding hasn't really made my pain worse, but earlier in the month I did take 3 weeks off the bike because I was in too much pain from walking. Over the last couple weeks I have gradually increased my time on the bike and so far so good. The news is though, good or bad, is that the improvement with the injection means its likely that I will need surgery. There is a very small chance I won't, but time will tell here over the next couple months. If I can get a few months of relief I will have to decide on surgery, or more injections to get me through the season... I will wait and see, but I pray for the small chance it that it doesn't get worse again. Regardless, I feel like I have had my life on hold and I'm just going to start planning ahead again and take whatever happens in stride.

I'm not sure when I'll kick off my racing season, but for now I am really, really enjoying riding my new bike (more on her soon) and have become overly thankful just to be able to get outside and ride. Being away from the bike for so many long stretches, makes me realize how much I really just enjoy riding... racing or not, I like to ride my bike.

(... and hello there, welcome to the family)

On that note, I was able to make it down to Bloomington and Nashville a couple weekends ago for my new team Men of Steel's spring group ride. We had a great turnout of over 20 guys and a few gals and it was nice to get to ride with everyone. It was pretty cool seeing all the sweet Mt Borah www.mtborah.com Men of Steel kits rolling around with the beautiful back drop of Brown County, and I was thankful to just roll along without having to think too much about all the worries and stress the previous weeks had brought.

(Just a few pictures from our team training camp a couple weeks ago)

Of course, it was my first time taking out the new bike and as a result, that brought on the rain on Sunday, but after a little gloomy weather, the sun made a great appearance later in the day! I had just pick up the new S-works from www.summitcitybicycles.com and Dave Coar snuck me in for a quick fit before heading down, so I was ready to get on the road with the team. It was a good, if not too short trip, and I look forward to getting to know more of the guys through out the remained of the year... as touch and go as it may be!

See you on the road!



Jer 29:11 (NIV) "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

No comments: