Sunday, November 15, 2009

Worth While?

Some days just sing along like a song. Some days go ALL right. Waking up and getting on the road at the perfect time in no rush, having good company to share a long trip to a race with, not hitting any stop lights on the way out of town, finding the perfect draft behind a truck, getting to the race site in plenty of time in order to hit up a quaint little coffee shop, having the best raspberry white chocolate scone you've ever had in your life there, then getting back to the race with plenty of time to pre-ride on a warm fall day with a beuatiful backdrop, riding the venue and thinking it was something you would have designed to suit your riding style perfectly, seeing your friends do great in their races before you start, and having that "on" feeling in your warm-up... and then some days even get better by winning your own race! Top it off with mexican food post-race and getting home to shower and unpack and get at least 6 hours of sleep for work the next day; makes for a pretty song at that!

So I finally had a good day, and my mental state really needed it. With the gloom of finding out I need major surgery, and feeling a little over exhausted from tons of racing and travel in the last 2 months, I needed a uplifting day. I felt like I've had a pretty good form the last week during training and I was excited to hit up the OVCX in Columbus, OH to see how that would match up against the regions best. After doing my pre-ride I knew that if any one was going to best me, they would have to be over the top of their game. Not to discredit my competition, but I was en fuente! When I have that attitude before the race and have no doubt that I can win- I usually do. The mild uphill start didn't even bother me as usual. I got the hole shot and didn't look back from there. I put down the power and focused on nailing my technique. I was able to pedal over the small barrier on the run-up and being that I was the only gal to do that, I gained valuable seconds. This was critical for me since I am not able to run in my training and any chance to not run on the ankle is a welcome break. Plus, I was surprised to learn that not even the majority of the elite men did that little "trick." Cool. I always love to show up the boys a little and I even passed a few of them after starting about 30 seconds behind them. Sorry guys, but you got beat by a girl. I so love to say that.
After the first 3 laps of the 5, I had a pretty comfortable lead over Amanda McKay. She has been riding strong for the last few weeks and she had to be taken seriously, she always finishes the last portion strong and I wasn't about to let that happen on such fine form. I backed off my power a little on the hiller portions enough to maintain what I had. This was all fine until I had a little chain slip on the next to last lap coming out of the double barriers. I was then upset with myself for a few seconds for backing off, but my trusty Paul chain keeper got back on track and I was off again. Never, get comfortable in cross- you never know what it has in store for you!
I finished off with a fun last lap and enjoyed flowing around the bowl type turns they had placed while fully trusting my tubies. I was very happy to get the Win, and it was even better to get knowing Amanda and Terri were riding good that day too. I really enjoyed the venue and I was happy to not be racing in the mud. I love the mud, but I wanted a day to just lay down the power and that is exactly what I got.
Some days just go ALL right. There are times in cycling and cross where you can feel like a fish out of water. At Gun club, I think I made every technical and pre-race error I could, and it showed. Other days you feel like chunky peanut butter- pretty sweet, a little smooth, but a few ruff edges, and then there are creamy Jiff days. Smooth as silk, effortless, and perfect. You are sitting on a seat and look down and realize you are actually pedaling a bike at race pace. I believe they call it no chain. Those Jiff moments are a part of what keeps me going every day I train. There may only be a few of those a year, but that's okay, it's the best sounding tune you could listen too and you never will forget it.
I needed that day and I'd like to think that was another little gift that God gave me. I've kept a positive attitude about my recent news and kept my head up. After learning I need more surgery as a result of being an athlete sometimes I wander if it is all worth while. But I just remember this:
It is easy enough to be pleasant, when life flows by like a song. But the man worth while is the man who will smile when everyhthing goes dead wrong. For the test of the heart is trouble, and it always come with the years, and the smile that is worth the praises of earth, is the smile that shines through tears.
The no chain is worth while... and I'm still smiling.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Great post Nik! Love how your attitude is positive all the time. Too many people in my life have shitty can't do attitudes and it can be a downer. Keep up the winning ways for the rest of the year!