Saturday, November 21, 2009

Looking for the next fix.


Its always hard coming off of a great high. Just like cocaine addicts, or any drug addicts do when they try to quite cold turkey. It's a real killer, and can be a little bit of a strange feeling. I don't know this first hand but have studied and understood the concept in anesthesia, since illicit drug use greatly effects anesthesia planning. So I came down a little from my cycling form high I was on last weekend today. I'm still riding strong, but not like wonder women. Like I said, once you get that "no chain" feeling you are on a constant search to get it back. It is such a fix, and you always want it back, even though it may take months to get it. Kinda like crackies do for their drugs.
I was all pumped up this week to have the perfect race Saturday at the Indy Southeast parkway venue. I knew I was a little behind on form with having a few late nights at the hospital, but I think my fitness is good enough right now to carry me to the races. Despite the motivation to do well, I struggled to get out of bed and get going, leaving me a little rushed to get in a good warm up. I know I'm getting a little tired of being on the road at this point in the year, and a few extra z's were very tempting. I just couldn't find that fierceness all day today and kinda went through the motions of it all. Regardless, it was a perfect fall day once again and it was sweet to be racing along on a short sleeve skin suit! I somehow managed my worse start of the year, or maybe Nikki and Amanda had good ones, but I decided to get going a little into the first lap and made a pass on Amanda. She is doing great and is a fun competitor right now. With that positioned gained, I set my sights on Nikki D. She had a pretty big gap on me, but I managed to close it a little and finally made got into the lead for the 3rd lap of 5. With 2 to go, she gained back on me and after I made a little bobble on the uphill climb she took back over on the lead. I stayed with her, but she ended up gapping me a little in the end and she had a good win with me taking second. It was a fun battle and its great to have such a competitive field of women in the region.
I thought the new venue was great and had nice flow for a change. I was a screwed with the up hill run up with the bum ankle. It couldn't have been set up any more painful for me. With a sweeping right, uphill turn right before the barrier at the base, it required a slight cutting action of the ankle. That's no bueno for me. I imagine I lost my share of time here, but we all have our weakness. It just wasn't good for me.
So, I'm chillin in my $42 dollar crib in Indy in room 142, waiting for the good fight to continue at Brookside in the morning. I hope my steak from Texas roadhouse has me supercharged for the State title, because I would really like to get my fix again real soon!

4 comments:

Emily said...

Being that AnnaJean and Amanda are from Kentucky, you win the title of "Indiana CX champ" without having to win, right? So, AnnaJean could beat you again, but the title wouldn't change? I thought that if I a resident from the state didn't win, that nobody got the title, but someone told me that isn't how it works?

Mike said...

$42 bucks huh. What kind of joints u stay in? Sounds like u had a good one. Good luck tomorrow!

Nicole Borem said...

No Em, if the first resident to cross the line of that respective state is state champ. So if I win in KY and AnnaJean gets second she is the ky state champ not me. Regardless, I want the title, but wan the overall even more. Its so confusing at times, especially compared to neuroscience.
Mike, I'm getting poorer by the day- having to stay at a La Quinta. Its surprisingly pretty nice. No mold that I can see, but miss the rv.

Emily said...

Ohh...hmm...that kind of seems almost like "cheating" in some way.

Also, if you want to save money, you could always sleep in your car. I did it sooo many times over the summer....it's not so bad...except when it gets cold...but just open up a bunch of heating packets and stick them near extremities...and their heat fills up a sleeping bag quite effectively. The worst time was in March at Chicksaw, and April at Tsali. Those places are colllld at night!!!


Also, it's totally a way to get pumped up...because in the moments of the race where you're struggling, you just have to be like, "I didn't drive all this way and sleep in my car for nothing!! I have to make it worth it!!"

For that reason alone, I will continue sleeping in my car for most races...i mean, also because i have no money...haha. That is why I didn't race on Saturday =( i couldnt afford gas/registration...so I went to work instead.