Monday, November 23, 2009

Back on the high- the fix is found.


Its one thing to win the race and another thing to win the battle. I won the OVCX stop in Brookside Park in Indy on Sunday, thus claiming the elite women state title along with it. It was a great race against Nikki D and me, we went back and forth and we really had to ride smart races in order to take the victory. It is always fun to smash the competition on magical days and have "no one else in the picture" victories, but I think most competitive athletes will tell you that the most memorable victories come after fighting hard to earn them. This wasn't as sweet as winning Nationals last year, but it is pretty high up on the list. I really wanted to win this race for a few reason and I mostly wanted to prove to myself that I had improved to a level where I could go bar to bar with the best in the area at a venue that didn't really favor me. The last 2 years of Brookside had been a struggle for me with the uphill paved climbs, but this year they felt like time had eroded them down. I actually think I went faster going up, then going down them. The other worry was the stair section with the ankle. It didn't feel good feeling the tendon dislocate every step, but I think I actually mastered them without problems. Also, not to dwell on it, but I wanted to go into surgery in the next couple weeks with the motivation that I can win, and I have every reason to put all my heart into working back to health for next year to be even stronger. Add in a little political/personal push and I wanted this race bad. Plus, it was the state championships. 'Nuff said.
My day started pretty good. I had a great night's sleep and a Starbucks next door to the hotel. Now that I'm back on coffee, that was a bonus. I had plenty of time to go over my errors from the previous day and focus on not making the same ones again. I also knew the venue pretty good and visualized as much of it as I could remember. Gotta love the Jedi mind tricks!

I hit a few practice laps and watched the other races and relaxed listing to the great announcing that the host provided. Not bad to have TwoJohns Podcasts Gatch as one of your local callers along with Bloomington's accented Geriant P. Just as I was getting into my main warm-up I watched my travel partner and teammate Josh Johnson take a great victory in the Cat 3 men. That got me even more pumped to get another win for DRT on the day. I actually got a good warm up in and was ready to get going at start time.
I was a little worried at the start. I went into the first turn in 3rd. Not my normal spot, and I was behind Amanda, and Nikki was ahead of her. I wanted to make quick work to get around Amanda just in case she got sketchy to allow Nikki any gap at all. Amanda is a good rider, but I didn't want to take chances. After getting around her I quickly found myself on Nikki's wheel with little effort and I knew then that I wasn't gonna be beat on the day. I rode on her wheel and drafted for the first lap and then made my move in the barriers to lead after that. I threw down all I had to get a gap and held that until lap 3. We usually do 5 laps, but on lap 3 the official called "4 more to go" and I knew that we must have been flying. Indeed, we were as the master's men that started 1 minute ahead of us were quickly getting passed one by one like they were out for a Sunday recreational ride. I saw Nikki gaining me a little and I decided to let her catch back on so I could draft off her for a couple laps. Even though I felt I was standing still at times, I hung in behind her waiting for the final 2 laps to make my move on the barriers again. On lap 5 going onto the finish area she sprinted away from me in what I thought to be a attempted break, however, she thought that was the last lap and finish. After seeing her confusion I slowed to let her get back up with me. I didn't really want to win on a lap error count on her part. After letting her sit in a little and regain her rhythm I decided to step on the gas and get on with winning. I slowly gained seconds and then a few more. I attacked the dismounts and knew all I had to do was stay smooth and coast in for the win.

Funny thing about winning, sometimes you cross the line so fast you hardly have time to realize your victory, others happen so slow and you recall all things that got you there. I had one of those slow days on a fast ride before crossing the line... I was closing my eyes seeing my friend put me under anesthesia; I was watching my Mom help dress me after my ankle surgery in the hospital; I was watching my sister carry everything to me when I was on crutches; moaning for hours in pain while I dealt with severe nerve damage in my foot from complications; I was doing the most simple core workouts with my trainer Darrell while in a cast; I was in Florida detached from my team for my "flat" solo training camp in so much pain I couldn't ride for more then a half hour; yet I was spending a few moments with my parents sitting on the beach being thankful they loved me; knowing God loves me and feeling blessed to be His child; I remembered the great feeling of riding my mtb again; drooling on myself up horseman's camp climb; struggling through back pain from walking in a cast for months; being amazed at being able to jump rope and do the most simple things; training in the rain, heat, dark, more rain and lots of mindless hours in the basement; kettle bell after kettle bell after kettle bell; nailing Wapahini; starving to lose a few pounds; chillin in the RV with friends; knowing and feeling like very few people in your home cycling community gives a damn if you do well; realizing is okay if they don't; working all hours of the night only to head out and train again; feeling so truly happy for others I know when they have good rides; not drinking alcohol; sweet rewards of post ride Mexican food; finding out I need surgery again; long, fun rides with Anne; watching others grow as riders and people as a result; being able to finally move my big toe after 10 months; having no chain moments; countless hours of planning my daily grind with Coach Don G., Barry M., Terry T., Dan H., Anne Y., Tim W., John C., Josh J., Bri M., Darell C., Joey H., my sister, and Mom and Dad. Knowing victory is ultimately my own personal perception.

These memories all flashed in my head... and then it was time to raise my hands in the "V," and the moment passed as quickly as it came and the fix was there, but ready to be sought again some other day.
One thing I know.
The highs are only truly cherished when you respect and remember the lows.
Me.
I'm back on a HIGH.

1 comment:

Mike said...

You are the true meaning of a Champion! Great job this year. Good luck at Jingle Cross