Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Iceman Cometh and Goeth


Another Iceman Cometh made its way into my race list, as the 20th year it has been run and my personal 4th year. I have done this race 2 years on a singlespeed and 2 in the pro race. Funny how I forget how hard it is and keep coming back every year. I had a great result last year of 8th place and I was hungry to improve on that finish this year. The weeks leading up to Iceman proved that would be a tall order as a stacked field of some top name pros decided to place this race on their calender also. With the likes of previous multiple Ice winners, world champions and national champions, I knew top 10 would have to be my goal. My other concern for this race was my lack of proper training for it. Seeing how I have been focusing on this little cross thing, I hadn't really even been on a bike for more than 1.5 hours in a couple months, let alone a mtb. We didn't really want to sacrifice my cross training for 1 late mtb race, so I knew I would be suffering through the last 50 minutes. Regardless, Iceman is a great event and I wouldn't want to miss it. The crowds are super for the pro race and it always is fun to see a gazillion bikers take over a community.
Iceman is also a fun time since my Dad and I make this trip together every year. He is a busy sports official and the fact that we both have packed schedules, makes it a little hard for him to watch too many of my races. I guess it is a little father/ daughter weekend and we always enjoy hanging out together without the rest of the family around for a change. So off to Northern Michigan we went...
Race day shaped up to be the nicest ever, with temps nearing 60 degrees by race start, it wasn't a typical Iceman. I got in a good warm up and was able to line up on the front row. The start this year was a long road section and I didn't want to get mixed up in any wrecks (which did happen behind me). I had a great start and actually road about 3- 4th wheel for the majority of the 2 mile start. Nice and safe.

After dipping into the trail section we starting hitting the "go" button. Things got fast quick and I stayed right there in about 4-5th wheel. The race quickly shaped into a group of about 15 up front and it was a sprint from there to the end. I found myself at about mile 10 getting in a group of 4 gals that were slowly getting strung out by the super stars up front. We would be battling for 8-13th for the finish. The wind was a factor as it gusted to 30 mph at times and I tried my best to stay out of it as much as I could. My usual iceman competitor, Danielle Musto was busy taking great pulls with me and we kept the pace at about 14-16 mph averages. With about 10 to go we had a gal attack and our group couldn't pull her back after I spent a large effort trying. With 5 to go I ran into a major problem of my hamstring cramping. I highly underestimated the typical fluid intake due to the warmer temps and ran out of water by mile 15. I dropped my hand up and at this point I was paying for it big time. I decided to set back in my group and hope the pain would pass. It didn't. It was bad timing for cramps as we were just getting into the punchy rollers, and at mile 3 I was totally unable to pull on my upstroke through the climbs. With 2 miles to go, my group gaped me a little on a climb and I pretty much road in f0r 13th place a few ticks behind top 10 placers. Not much you can do when your legs are in knots...
I was a little bummed to be off the top 10, but then again, it wasn't too far off and I was riding in good company. I actually felt I had a good race and aside from my fluid mishap, I know I put it all out there. This race is kinda tricky in the fact that everyone would agree that is not all that technically challenging, but it makes for an all out sprint because of it. That fast pace consistency is a challenge and will have your legs screaming at you for sure. So is was unlucky 13 for me. Funny, that number is one of my few superstitions.

I have to say, this year was a lot of fun during the race for me. It seemed the crowds were in great cowbell form for us pros and it was very encouraging and meaningful to have people out there cheering me on personally. If you were one of those people, thanks so much and every "let's go Nik," was heard and appreciated! Iceman always reminds me of mountain biking in the good ole days. It has a kinda laid back, have fun atmosphere that is so cool considering the place is packed with 4,000 riders. Speaking of the numbers: I was able to get some riding in Sunday after the race at the venue and I was able to witness the mass production that the Traverse City Community is responsible for to pull this event off. I have to say that after talking with several of the locals who were cool enough to know I was one of the pros out there; that they love when Iceman comes to town and they do a wonderful job to make this happen for us. If you ever get a chance to thank them, make sure you do it, it means a lot to them and the future of their community.
As far as that post race ride went: well, it was perfect. The weather was in the mid 60's, the trail was perfectly rode in, and I pretty much had the whole Vasa trail to myself. It was pure silence in the pines, and it was kinda weird to not hear the your own breathing labored, chains clinking around you, or the cheers of the crowd. But then again, I kinda daydreamed of hearing the announcer calling my name somewhere in that top 3 position, and I was a kid again daydreaming and just out riding my bike.
My quest and dreams will continue next year. Thanks again Iceman!



2 comments:

Danielle Musto said...

Hey, great job out there. You are super fast!!! I feel like us racing together at Iceman is becoming a tradition :-)

Good luck for the rest of your cross season!

Mike said...

Hey Nik. Great job and great post once again. I am adding this to my list of must do's for next year. As for the number 13...That's my b-day. In fact it is this week...Friday THE 13th!!!!