Sunday, January 23, 2011

Chachacha... Changes!

It's now 4 weeks post- op and I'm officially mentally moving on to focusing on this cycling season. I have until the remainder of the week to lug around the storm trooper cast on my wounds and I've already begun the grueling regimen of PT that I am all to familiar with. This season, in a lot of ways, will remain the same. I will wear red, black, and white for my colors. I will ride Specialized products, do my bike business with the good folks at Summit City Bicycles, ingest Hammer Nutrition, have great team support from Wagner Research, use the best body care products out there by Winston's brand, along with having a few familiar teammates.

But, if one thing is certain in life, it is most definitely change, and I have a couple big ones personally for the upcoming season. I have been getting lots of nudges from everyone to let the cat out of the bag about my little hints as to what my changes were going to be and here's the official post on those things to come.

First of all, let me just say that this is a big change for me and I didn't make the choices lightly. I had some really hard decisions to make and I've been sole searching on this (along with the help of a few trusted friends) for a few months now and I'm excited about the decisions. Its been hard to even think about racing a bike at a high level over the past 3 months, let alone even think about where my "home" is going to be, so I had to make sure my mind was right and thank you to all the people close to me that have helped me decide what to do. I think back since November and I have had 3 major life events happen to me in that time then most people have occur to them in their whole life: broken ribs... viral meningitis... ankle surgery! I think its time I moved on from that chapter in my life.

Oh yes... back to the other decisions of change. Right. Sometimes it's time to move on, get a fresh outlook, fresh ideas, new home. Just like getting a hair cut, or new sunglasses. A fresh environment is sometimes needed. That being said, I felt it was time I moved on from my DRT roots that first gave me a boost in my elite cycling career. The DRT coaching and team was a great start for me and will be for many people in the future, but my time there was ready to be renewed. And with that... I'm moving on.

Men of Steel Racing will be my new team for 2011!
I am very excited to be a part of this team and family and have felt nothing but love from them since I started talks with them and made the decision to stay "local" with my team choices. Based in Fort Wayne, Indiana, Team MoSR is comprised of 27 riders between the ages of 11 and 82. They obviously started with the mind set of getting steel bikes out there, but have quickly grown into a full blown racing team with all bikes included. As a steel mtb and road bike owner, I admit that my steel bikes (also known as Star for my Indy Fab, and Horse with No Name for my Jamis) are my favorites, but the "Women of Steel" team name also refers to the "never give up attitude" and I love the play on words here!
I can definitely relate to the it. MOS also hosts some really great races including 2 state championship events. Check out the up to date website for all the goodies: www.menofsteelracing.com or look us on facebook www.facebook.com/MenofSteelRacing.


(Just a handful of the Team From Last Year. Some old friends plus many new faces for me)

In addition to the above support I have been used to, I am also really excited to be wearing Mt Borah cycling clothing. Mt Borah has really come though for me with MOS and have been kind to offer me some additional support. My first impressions of this clothing is top notch, they have some really nice features and the best part is that they are based in Wisconsin! Please take the time to check them out and give a couple pieces of the gear a test too: www.mtborah.com. I know you'll love it. I'm also thankful to represent some really cool companies in Meijer and Excellon Technologies, these companies choose to sponsor us cyclists so please don't forget to keep the circle of support for them!

(Getting a chance to meet some of my new team at our kickoff party)

The other big change for me will be a new coach. This may be the hardest change for me since a new coach is like a new member of the family. I will be adding Mark Fasczewski of www.vantaggiofitness.com to my family in the next month or so. Mark's knowledge base of cycling training (especially women) is at the top of USA cycling coaches food chain, and this is obvious since one of his athletes, Kim Finn, just came home with a National Cyclocross title. I have no doubt that Mark's coaching will help me achieve my goals I set in place.

Aside from that, I just want to send some love to Jim and Mylein Kruse for pouring so much time and love into MOS. Mylein heads up the other side of Jim and has been a great help to seeing that I get squared away with the team in the least tedious of ways. Also, John Martin with the team was really kind to help me get the ball rolling and props to him too. Otherwise, thanks to my loyal consultants in cycling; Anne, Aaron, Josh, and my family. Along with micro advisers; Barry, Terry, and everyone else who's brain I picked.

I look forward to things to come!


Therefore if any man is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come.
-Corinthians 5:17



No comments: