Sunday, January 16, 2011

Deja Vu


Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors. ~African Proverb

(I'm sticking to non-foot pics this post... I'm tired of looking at it. I'm sure you all are too)

I have this funny feeling I've been through this before.

Ah yes, that's right, I have.

Twice. So third time is a charm, right?

I'd like to think so. I'm sticking with that. Given anything else, at least I have the recovery and therapy down pat. I would almost say I'm a expert at it.

So let's catch up a little. I had my 2 wk follow up with Doc on Wed and got my stitches out. I was ready to be done with them as a result of the knots growing into my skin. It's always fun to have suture knots dug out of a fresh surgical wound. I'm healing good and everything is going as expected with the exception of some nerve irritation and severe pain near the top incision. He had to free this nerve up during surgery and move it around a little so we are hoping the pain I'm having with that will settle down with time and therapy. It's not so fun right now as it keeps me up at night and is a constant "funny bone hit" sort of feeling, so I pray Doc is right and I'm trying not to stress out about it too much. Worry won't help me get better, but it's hard not to since I can't imagine anything worse right now then needing that nerve fixed too. But I have to trust one of the best guys... I'm sure he knows what he's talking about.

Other than that, I was given clearance to get going on the trainer in the cast. I was really happy about that and I have been on the trainer a few times since then. Even though I wouldn't call it a work out, it was nice to be able to just do something. I had my first "pain free" ride yesterday and as a result, I can ride in a tennis shoe next Wednesday if I keep that up. I won't be riding outside for at least another month, but I'm not too bummed about that right now since the weather is pretty chilly these days. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself to feel better about it.

(I don't mind riding the trainer for now... unless I was able to ride here in NC)

I know I've said it before, but I really hate surgery. It brings on some pretty dark times in a lot of different ways. Everything has been a blur the past couple weeks and even though it's only been 2 weeks, the passing time has felt twice as long. Surgery is painful, it make a person feel worthless, cause a loss of income, brings on stresses with employers, and makes a person like me dependent... among other things. However, it also makes a person reflect and really learn to appreciate everything they do have in everyday life. Its similar to a bonk situation or a long, tough ride all be yourself. A lot of self inspection takes place. It also helps you see how thoughtless some people can be, but also how really special some people are to you. I've seen both sides of the coin and that will help me be a better person to others in my personal and professional life, which will help me fulfill His calling for me. It also helps remind me of everything else I have been blessed with, which would be way too long for blog post. I've had some bad luck with my physical shell, but in every other regard, I'm a very lucky girl.

I just hope that I don't have to face any reminders (surgery/ illness) for a long time. I know I can remind myself without that stuff for a very long time.

Thanks for reading and keeping me in your thoughts and prayers everyone!

Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive. ~Josephine Hart
That's right :)

No comments: