Monday, October 5, 2009

October Cx fest

So October is jam packed with lots of sweet cyclocross racing.I'm actually thinking that I should store up all my work vacation and just take October off next year from work so I can travel around to the cross races in the RV.Hmmm, I will have to think about that one during the winter trainer months.
Anyway, last weekend's cross installment was a kick off in L'ville as OVCX race weekend #2. My teammate Josh Johnson and I made the crazy trip down to the venue at the crack of 430am to hit his race at 1120. Even though it was hard getting up that early, it was nice to have plenty of time to scope things out for my afternoon race. Josh wasn't so lucky since he misjudged his start time and did not even get to pre-ride the coarse. He still killed it for 4th, which is pretty sweet with no warm-up.
My recon of the coarse had me not getting good vibes. It was hilly and more hilly. It's no secret that I hate hills with a capital H, so I was hoping to just make it out alive without blowing up. It also didn't help that the Katie Compton of ovcx, Nikki Dalliere, loves hills and that she is one of my main competitors. Not to mention, Terri Meek, Amanda Mckay, and Bridget all have a pretty good track record of holding their own on the elevation gains. I was also a little anxious and excited to try out my new single chain ring set up with a Paul Components chain keeper for the first time in a race. 
At start time I was feeling better about my warm-up from my previous weekends. We had a strong field and I was pumped to just get the race under way. I managed the hole-shot thanks to the BMX days, and went back and forth a bit with Nikki on the first lap until she got a small lead on me. I was feeling pretty decen
t and was surprised how I was able to not hurt too bad on the hilly portions, so I decided to kick it up a notch on the second lap. Well, just as I did that a tree limb decided to kick up into my rear cassette. I thought it was the new chain set up at first, so I just rode through it, which caused the stick to become comfortably lodged in several cogs. I was forced to stop on a steep climb and claw and pull it out, and with that I watched 1st position walk away. I finally got it going and was thankful to have a pretty good gap on 3rd, so I tried to make some gains towards 1st, but it didn't happen.  I was happy with how my last 2 laps played out, I was able to focus on some cornering speed and I was happy that the hills didn't really tire me at the end of the race. I take that as progress in my fitness level.
 
Even though I may not be posting any wins  lately, I know I am getting better every time I step up to the start line. I get a little bummed with sometimes always coming in 2nd, but I am trying to be patient and remember that I can only do my best and I can't control other riders around me. I know a cyclocross win is in me somewhere, I just have to trust my training and hard work to deliver me to that point someday. 

Regardless, I still had a great time, and actually thought the venue was a lot of fun. It had some great elements that I thought encompassed the thrill of cyclocross racing. The weather was perfect and it was nice to race in a little cooler temps than the last few weeks. Fall is in the air and that means it is october cx fest time!

Next stop- 3 days of big time UCI racing in Cincinnati, OH area. Maybe I can bag a few more UCI points for my trick or treat bag.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I love Fisherman's Park!! It was my favorite course last year!! Everyone complained about the off-camberness and hilliness, but that is totally my jam!!! I'm glad it went well for you. Did you get sweet trophies this year? Last year I got a sweet little trophy for 2nd place in cat 1/2/3.