Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Its Time to see where I stand.

2009 USGP Planet Bike Cup_Sat_0283 by NikkiCyp.I have always been a firm believer that anybody can do almost anything with hard work and determination. I have never been the fastest, skinniest, smartest, or most talented person compared to others around me, but I try to make up for that by giving it my best foot forward. I remember as a young girl going to basketball practice, getting my butt kicked, then going home and going out to practice on my own. By the time I was in high school, that hard work payed off and I was a 4 year varsity player with some college scholarships lined up. Anesthesia residency was another example, it would take me twice as long to read and study, but I stuck with it (and it was very hard) and now I am thankful everyday for all the work I put forth. I always tell people they can do whatever they want in life, they just have to make sacrifices and stick with the plan to accomplish those plans no matter what. It's the same with cycling. I have made a decision to give being a cyclocross pro a shot. Aside from my job, it consumes my every thought. I make a lot of sacrifices and some times I wander if it is worth it. Being a person that works hours that are more than what most people work in 2 weeks and being regimented to stick to a training plan on the bike is a lot to swallow when I wake up on Monday morning. Add in taking care of personal, financial, yard and house duties, and it can be a little overwhelming at times. But....

Last weekend I hit up the Wisconsin USGP elite women's race. The start list was a who's who of pro women's cycling. It was really the first elite race where I felt kinda like I belonged. I say this because I think I have had a chance to start getting into cycling shape to race at this level. I have been training and focused for almost 2 years now, and I'm almost at that level. I had a next to last row start and I was surrounded by world cup winners , Olympians, mtb world champions, and paid athletes. Was I crazy! Maybe, but I worked hard to be there too, and now was the time to see where I stood. I placed 16th out of 32! Maybe I do belong, my hard work is starting to pay off. I found a lot of things I need to work on, but also gained  valuable positive thoughts that will help my confidence at the next big race. I will take all those lessons and head out to practice and work hard on getting better.  Plus, I gained some UCI points and those 6 babies will be super sweet to have in my pocket!2009 USGP Planet Bike Cup_Sat_0254 by NikkiCyp.

Day 2 was not as positive for me,  I had some equipment issues (thanks Matty J for the wheel)  before the race and failed to warm-up properly. I felt really good by the last 2 laps, but obviously it was too late then. I also had an untimely incident with busting my knee square on with one of the wood stakes during the first lap. I had to keep pushing on it to squeeze the blood out of my kneecap so I could have full range of motion to pedal. That was a stupid mistake.  I was still very pleased to place 23rd. Since top 25 was my original goal for the weekend, so I was okay with day 2. I know what I did wrong and will hope to avoid those things next time. That's what always leaves you coming back for more, the hope of doing better.
Aside from that, the venue was wonderful and the weather was cross perfect. I pre-rode in a rain storm on Friday, but other then that, the weather was okay. I also want to give a shout out to Mike Benedek for providing housing for me, after a last minute change of sleeping plans, it was a huge help and stress relief. Thanks Mike! I'm thankful for a one day race weekend of OVCX in L'ville on Sunday this week to prep for the next weekend. Three day Cinci area uci is fast approaching and I hope to put it together and post some good results. I just feel if I could have a break through at some point, I could be on the verge of not having to start dead last. All I know is that I will keep working my ass off to get there! Thanks for reading.
... and YES, it is all worth it!

1 comment:

Mike said...

Nikki. Great job this weekend. You are fead on with you rpost. You have what it takes and you are showing that. I know I was busting your chops about all the gear but hey, thats what it takes. Keep doing what you are doing!