Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Some things are out of my control. Chaos around me and fever.

Who doesn't love the Derby City USGP? That's right, no one. It is a sweet event and this year did not disappoint. This event has a special place in my heart since it marks the anniversary of my first pro cross race. This year I had a much different outlook on my expectations from last year. I went from thinking I was gonna get killed, to wanting to kill it! As you can see, the RV made the trip and camp was set for a weekend full of racing. The women's pro field was balling big time! We may not have the numbers that the pro men post, but the depth of the talent is packed. As a matter of fact, there is very little "pack fill" as the pro men have, and I knew a top 15 finish on my part would require some focused effort mentally and physically. My goal for the weekend was to post top 15 results. Let's see how that went...
Friday teammates Josh Johnson and resident manager Anne Young made the trip down with me in the RV. We set up camp and scoped out the course with flashlights and prepped for what looked to be a muddy venue. We woke up to a chilly morning and tons of cars that once was an empty lot. We were thankful to be in the warm rv as we watched the poor cat 4's start at 830 am. Way to early! All reports showed mud and more mud. What was soup by the morning, turned into thick, power sucking mud by my race. After course recon, all us pro women were prepped for yet another muddy race of the season. True cross racing at its best!
I continue to start from the last row, but am slowly moving up in call up ranks (I was told I am ranked uci 93rd in the world). I had a poor start to say the least. I took advantage of weaving through some gals messing up on the muddy sections and by the end of the 1st lap I was sitting in about 10th position. Sweet! I felt like I was doing a good job of choosing lines that were getting me a few seconds ahead of the other gals but maybe were a little more technically challenging. I wouldn't say I like a mud race, but the mud races seem to like me. Anyway, I held that position for a few laps until disaster struck. A racer in front of me wrecked on a muddy G-out and I was going full speed into it myself. With no braking power in mud, I had no option but to ram right into her. Our bikes locked and after getting separated, my sweet trp's were jammed into the wrong place on my front wheel. I was forced to stop to try and free it and after a few attempts I started running for the pits trying to fix it on the run. I finally got it fixed after watching about 10 girls pass me by. Tough break! I fought hard the rest of the race to gain positions, finally making it back up to 15th. I can't really help situations like that, but it really makes me wander what could have been. I was still happy with 15th, because it could have been much worse.
That night was filled with de-mudding as usual. That seems to be the routine this season. I just kept thinking how thankful I was for getting Rhino's this year. We finished the night with a movie and gladly went to bed early to get ready for the next day of fun.

Day 2 also had a hitch in my plans of doing well. I went to bed the night before with confidence that I could maybe break the top 10. That quickly changed when I woke up early with nausea and a fever. I couldn't believe it. It felt like I had put embro all over my face, and I was super tired. I went to cheer Josh on (who finished 3rd and 8th) and I was exhausted from that. Not what I was expecting. I debated to not race, but I figured I had already paid and made the trip, so I should just give it a go. I decided I would drop out if I felt like death. I had nothing to lose.

I did better than I expected. It was tough, but I got 15th again. Riding with the flu on a muddy ground is super energy zapping. Surprisingly, I had a better start and felt better and better as the race went on. I started in the top 10-14 pack, but faded a little as I found I had zero top end spunk. I focused on staying as smooth as I could and slowly gained on that group again. I was in 16th going into the last lap and I was determined to get my goal placing even though 15th spot was about 40 seconds ahead of me. Well, I caught her. Once we got to the green monster, we went back and forth and going into the final mud pit I made a sweet pass and I knew I had her with my power. I made the pass and never looked back. It was a hard earned 15th, and I was proud of it. I met my goal, even being sick.
So that concludes my usgp races for this season. I would love to hit the NJ one, but my funding for such a trip isn't there this year. I hope to get a little more support next year to be able to put some bling in the bank to hit all the usgp's. I just have to keep working hard and posting some results. Both of which I know I can do.
It was a good weekend otherwise, it is always nice to have a high profile race really close. It is super fun to see all the ovcx regulars doing well with the best racers in the country. I also had some amazing ice cream on the way home. It made me feel better (at least in my mind). Thanks to Josh for helping around camp, Anne for doing everything without even being asked, Tim Wagner for being the pit boss, and Mike B and his family for providing general fan support. Thanks for the rest of my team and locals I know for the cheers and cowbell that we all know make us go faster than we really should!
I actually have a short race weekend this week with only one race! Wow, a weekend day at home. I really need it, I feel like I am abusing my cat. Plus, I have big duties of being a "scare" character at a Halloween party. I get to wear makeup and everything while a play witch and scare little kids on a hay ride. I love Halloween!
... and then, its time for the Iceman Cometh.

3 comments:

nickleonard said...

great job this weekend nicole!!! there should be some pics of you in the first set of the usgp photos from sunday http://picasaweb.google.com/nickleonard0329

a video up here of the first lap barriers for elite women www.rivercitycannondale.blogspot.com

also a youtube clip of the muddy friday uci cincy race http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7786OOS_yOs

nickleonard said...

haha just read your other post with the youtube link....sorry about that.

Mike said...

Nice post. It was a great race. You did fantastic... Can't imagine racing with the flu. I have some pics and video clips for you