Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Pity for Non-Cross Racers


I really do feel a little bit sorry for those of you who don't race cyclocross. Not only because it is the best form of cycling I know, but because everyone is crazy about it right now. You would be hard pressed to view any form of cycling material and not find some cross mention that throws it in your face. Every magazine, e'zine, blog, tweet, and cracker jack box has some cross crack right now. Everyone is getting ready for it like old people stocking their pantries before a blizzard. That would make me feel a little left out if I were not a cross racer.
  In my 21 years as a bike racer I have never seen anything like the buzz, passion and explosion of cyclocross. Sure mountain biking had a pre-Lance build, and BMXers are a dedicated and unique bunch (and a close 2nd to cross in my fav book), but cross is taking the cake. Look at the growth people! Is there really a good excuse to not do it? Topping the list is the "I don't have money to buy a cross bike," excuse. This could be pretty valid I guess in these times. But it is cross. No fancy top of the line crap is needed unless you want to big pimp it as a cat 1 or 2. A good old mtb will do just fine, or take an old roadie sitting around and do a little home shop work. Plus,  you could nab a fair cross bike at any shop for a grand. Sell some old parts on ebay and you are half way there! Following next is the line, "I'm kinda tired of racing." What? Really? This isn't road racing... it is actually a fun environment people. The atmosphere is so laid back at times, you would think you are at a tailgate for a college football game (but everybody is a cyclist). The races are short and you don't need tons of training right now as long as you are still moving around  a little bit during the week you are good to go. Besides, are we ever not racing? Everyone knows you may be doing a local fall touring ride trying to best your time from last year; might as well add 2 or 3 cross races in there. Lastly, the "I don't like the cold," excuse is a favorite of some. Are you kidding me? You're a biker, you can handle whatever is thrown your way. It's not baseball. There are no game delays in cycling. Rub down with some Belgium knee warmers or take a warm shot of whiskey (which may help mentally) and go play in the frozen mud. Suck it up! It is fun to brave the elements in a skin suit! 
Seriously, cyclocross really is a ton of fun and I wish I could get every cyclist to try just one race. I know it isn't for everyone,  so maybe they should come out and cheer us on instead.  My point is that something must be great about it because cross talk is all over the place, and I'm sorry if you don't get into it since it is everywhere. 
Personally, I have started my cross prep full time. I have had about 3 weeks of cross specific practices and rides in. This ranges from race specific rides to switching to my cx bike for my daily commute to work. I also have taken the cx bike on the mtb trails for some technical handling and ride the cx bike for my road training rides. The geometry is different from the specialized sl, so I want my body to be totally in tune with the cx geometry. I have also bumped up my core routine, hitting the trainer 2 days a week and mixing in some small core work everyday otherwise. Darrell and I have started kickboxing which is very helpful for glute and hip flexor motion specific to cross. We are also doing some major jump rope, simple but effective in getting over the barriers and running up hills! It is always different from going from a static position on the bike to having to dance and run around with your
bike while not falling on yourface. It takes practice and core strength and is a major challenge at the beginning of the season and will leave you wandering how you could ever make it through a 45-60 minute race! It's a lot of work, but the payoff is so much fun and I hope some of the little changes and attention to the details pays off in a big way for me this year! After my last mtb race in Indy Sunday (aside from Iceman) I will be in full cross mindset and look forward to hitting a small practice KissCross race in Michigan next weekend.
Hup! Hup!
Now go get your cross on!

1 comment:

Mike said...

You could not be more accurate. Nice post!