Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Go, go, go...



So I've been on the road now for 14 of my 17 days of travel/ camp now. I set this time aside for Drt training camp near Brevard, NC with a week in Fort Walton Beach, Florida to follow for a little R and R and easier riding with some beaches in between. While I'm bummed to miss the first 2 Drt races, it was the only time my family could get together to have a trip before the season kicked up even more. It's easy to get caught up in the race scene and I feel its important to spend a little family time here and again. I've feel like I have been doing so much but have no time to blog about it. Regardless, I have been having fun while traveling the states and thankful for it all. It's been go, go, go and here is a few things that have been happening.
I got the trip started off by picking up teammate Josh Johnson along with my Grandmother (mother) and headed out to drop her off and stay overnight at my families holler in Southern, KY. I always get a kick out of hearing my Mother talk about her life growing up where my family
came from. After that, Josh and I continued south and after taking a impromptu helicopter ride while we waited in Pigeon Forge in some freak show traffic, we got on with getting over the Smokies to our destination of the Tsali Serc race
destination site for the weekend near Bryson City, NC. Once at Tsali, Josh and I hooked up with teammates Mike H, Mitch K., and Mike H. and did a little pre-riding. After the ride I knew that I loved the venue, but it wasn't the type of place I would excel at personally even on a healthy day. I didn't go to Tsali with any expectation to even race on race day, and just planned on playing it by feel of how the ankle felt on race morning. After riding the venue, I decided late Saturday that I might as well race and at least get to ride and train on a fun coarse again.

So Sunday I lined up with a respectable field of girls and was excited to see several Indiana faces out there with me. We had about 20 women, which is awesome to see in mtb which seems to be a little anemic compared to cross. At the gun, I still didn't know what to expect. I was fully prepared to drop out at the first lap or just coast along at the back and get a good ride in. With having virtually no race training and pretty much riding with one leg so far this year, I had no expectations. Funny how that expectation changes so quick. Once the gun went off, I found myself up in the top 6 and ready to roll. I settled in to a nice pace and ended up dropping a few places by the time it was all done. It was a long race at around 30 miles, but I held a fairly easy pace and didn't go all out which allowed me to finish. I finished 10th overall and 8th in the Cat 1 field. I was pleasantly surprised by this and even more surprised with how my technical skills faired against the others at this point in the year with only a hand full of off road rides in the books. I did have some trouble with my gimpy leg near the end of the race with some major cramping from lack of use. Climbing in a place like that requires both legs be used- something I haven't done since before surgery.

Congrats to Kim F. for the win and to Emily B (team DRT) for a strong ride.

After that, it was off to Brevard area for Drt training camp. I set up my home for the week at teammates Scott W's RV and was totally exhausted from the travel and racing and hit the sack. Come Monday morning I was ready to get back on the bike and get myself back to racing form... and the rest is history. Lots of riding, climbing, and mountain biking. I had a blast riding the 29er around and felt I really got the hang of the new bike on Tues afternoon. I loved this bike and confirmed that I no longer want to ride a 26er at all anymore. I know a 29er isn't for everyone, but it really suits my needs as a rider. Even though I lagged behind the superstars of the team on the climbs at camp, I had a blast on the sections I could keep up on and really enjoyed my time with the team this year. I had a few moments that I was frustrated with my ankle, but I tried to not let my handicap bring me down too much. Its funny how I thought I was doing pretty good with the ankle rehab, but once I got on some hike a bikes with "normal" people, I quickly realized I still have a lot of work to do in getting back to normal on my balance and calf strength. Regardless, I felt pretty lucky to be out riding and hiking in some pretty wild terrain after such a huge operation.
The week ended too soon as most things like that do, and I headed back home wishing I had more time to ride DuPont's State Forest. Those trails were truly some of my favorite ones to ride in the US. Big thanks to team Drt and Wagner Research for all the help at camp!

So after 2 days of truck time, I made it home to Indiana, spent a little time with Black Kitty, unpacked, and repacked to leave for a family vacation to Okaloosa Island here in Florida after less than 12 hours from being home. I will update this leg of the trip some day. I have one more day in paradise before coming back to Indiana again. Although its been a fun time, I miss my 29er and my cat.
But I'm thankful to be able to go, go, go.

I feel like I have been everywhere.
Which sure beats going nowhere!




No comments: