Monday, March 1, 2010

Solo Sport? A shout out to my homies.


Behind every great champion is several great people.Cycling at my level is pretty much a solo sport. I don't really do road races where I depend on team tactics, nor do does a team factor into my cyclocross or mountain bike races. Being part of a "team" is great, but the outcome of my race doesn't depend on it like Pro Tour racers do. However, not having 6 people around me to chase and pull me around in a crit doesn't mean I complete solo. My solo cycling sport is very much a "team" effort.

The now finished Olympics got me thinking about this. A friend made a comment about how Apollo was a great solo athlete. For me, when I look at Apollo, I see a athlete who has formed a great team of people around him. I firmly believe that good solo athletes gather the best resources they can find and put the information they are given to action.

I have a very busy and sometimes unpredictable job. I have spent the last 2-3 years maximizing the experts around me to help me make the best out of the time I have to help me focus on being a good athlete. By doing that I would like to think that I have made some huge gains in my cycling abilities. My training and equipment prep really has no time for error. I'm no Apollo but for me, I narrow down my team to a couple hands full of people (in no particular order):

1. My biggest step was getting a cycling coach. For anyone who can afford a coach, I think it is a huge advantage if you have a limited amount of time to devote to training. Drt writes my cycling plans and changes them as I change. 'Nuff said.

2. Darrel Carr, my strength and core coach. May be my biggest secret weapon right now! Darrel handles it all except stuff I do directly on the bike. He is there for nutrition, supplements, core, stretching, lifting, and has a general understanding of the body in a different light than most people could even imagine. He has also worked countless hours on focusing on my injuries and how to come back strong from them.

3. Anne Young, my new teammate and long time riding buddy. Anne spent the weekend dragging me around on my windy rides and did the same thing last year after my surgery to help me get back in shape. Anne travels and takes off on adventures with me, listens to my crazy ideas, and keeps me motivated. She may not be someone people know much of in the historical cycling ring, but Anne is vital to my success. She just doesn't really know it. I liken Anne and I to College and Lance Armstrong, or a good sparring partner to a top MMA fighter.

4. Joey H., my massage therapist. Joe and I spent every Monday in cross season together working out the kinks and knots of racing and traveling for 14 weeks straight. Joe is a progressive therapist and can find a trigger point like a heat seeking missile. Now I see him about every 2 weeks, but I can't state how vital a massage is to keeping a healthy system. He is a great massage therapist and would be good enough to hit the pro tour teams if he wanted. Get a massage!

5. Summit City Bikes/ Terry T/ Barry M and the gang: They are a bike dealer, but they also deal with me. Deal with my multiple bikes, requests, and keep the machines running as I need them to personally (and I have lots of personal preferences). On average, I have about 3 bikes of my 7 or 8 that I need to be running race ready at any given moment. That means fitted to me with their fit system, running smoothly, getting parts ordered, and not letting me get to out of control with the "bling" of the industry. They are my pit crew and anyone knows that has ever watched a race car race, that without a pit crew; your shit doesn't move!

6. My family. Yep, they put up with a lot. I won't even get started in all they do for me because it would take up pages and still not do them justice. They are every bit of a cyclist that I am- they just don't do the pedaling.

7. Great Lakes Anesthesia, co-workers, and surgical family. The people I work with are my family in many ways. We experience people's life's in ways that most people can never even fathom. We have some tough times and some very rewarding times that can't be replicated in an office type setting. Work effects your riding and that can't be denied and my peeps at work know all about my riding, they have to listen to me ramble about it all day long!

(My Great Lakes Family: Anesthesia at its best!)

8. Eby, aka Black Kitty. Should a common house cat make the list? Heck yeah! She offers peace and joy every time I come home. She watches me ride the trainer and curls up to keep me warm after a cold ride. That is priceless!
(Black Kitty, striking a pose)

That's just a few that help make my wheels go 'round. Success never happens alone and I'm very thankful for the people who have stuck by me and believed in me over the years. I'm getting to a point where I am in need of a fair amount more industry and equipment support, but at least I know who will be by my side no matter what. Thanks Homies- you help me look good solo.

No comments: