Saturday, February 6, 2010

Big Little Steps. Bigger Goals.


That's it! The moon boot is no longer! I am now past the 8 weeks post-op mark and I couldn't wait to retire this nasty thing. I was sure it weighed at least 5 pounds, so I thought I would get a real measure of it... turns out to only be 2.4 ibs. So I lost that much weight, but after being fairly inactive, I have a few more of my own to lose than that. Anyway, graduating out of the protection of the boot is a BIG step, but not being able to "push off" with a atrophied calf muscle has me taking little steps right now, but stronger and stronger each day. I thought I might come up with some cleaver way to destroy the boot, but I think with my luck, I will keep it around to fend off any bad mojo.
So, the next big step I had was moving onto a smaller version of an aircast with activities and walking. This splint is still pretty bulky, and dorky looking, but it beats the one that came all the way up my leg. Aside from the required compression hose to keep the swelling down, and the ankle brace, I almost could pass as any other normal person riding the trainer.

That's right. I'm full time clipped in! Its kind of funny to take my foot out of my shoe while it is still clipped in, but I will take it for now! I also can now consistently hit the 100 watt mark. This seems like a little step in the right direction, but it is a huge mental boost to see 3 digits on the power meter compared to only 2. And in other big news; I made it down a flight of stairs yesterday in a normal fashion instead of 1 step at a time. Anyone who has ever had a limb out of contention knows what I mean when you find out just how vital they are to do the little things we take for granted. Stairs are a very complex movement and it was good feeling to not take forever to get down them. Nice.
Little steps at a time.
So, I know everyone in the cycling world knows the big news about cyclocross world championships coming to L'ville in 2013. I feel like we are very blessed in this part of the US to have such a huge deal so close to us, not to mention the fact that it will be held at the same venue as the one we will do many, many races at before that big weekend comes. As much as I am thrilled with the WC coming, I am even more excited that we have also received the Master's world championships bid for 2012 and 2013. Seems I may have some new goals to shoot for in the future and I have already turned my mind toward being part of that 2013 master's world team for my age group. I will more than likely pass on the '12 MWC as that would mean no pro races for me in 2012, and I'm not ready to pass on that yet. I'm not sure how that all works at this point, but I think I have as good as chance as any to represent my age group in such a big event in '13. As much as I love mountain bike racing, I am drifting away from traveling and focusing on it as much as I have in the past to focus my training on cross a little better and over the next few years. Cross will be more and more my focus, but mtb will always be on the schedule to prep me for cross. I am just not putting as many eggs in the basket in trying to win every mtb race I enter. I am finding a good plan of attack for training for cross with Coach Don G for cycling combined with Coach Darrell C for the core and strength side that is so vital in cross. Every year is one step up on my building plan at being better at such a cool sport. Combined with the hope of continuing to gain more ancillary support (wheels, products, etc), I'm gonna dream big and plan for racing the Master's World Championships in the near future.
Little steps, little changes, and little thoughts on my plans
for a BIG goal.

No comments: