Thursday, August 6, 2009

On a Roll


While I don't feel like I have broken any major records this year personally,  I do have to reflect a little at my season thus far and find some pleasure in what I have accomplished. In the last few weeks I have won 4 of the last 4 races I have entered and placed 2nd in the state crit 3/4 champs before that. Honestly, I was bummed to not place better in the crit race because I felt great that day and made some stupid road mistakes. In my thirst to always have to win, I sometimes lose sight of what I have done. In a season that started off with major surgery, not knowing if I would even be competitive on the bike, I have to look back now and find a huge sense of accomplishment at overcoming that injury and the complications from it. Sometimes I think we forget about what all we all have to overcome and take some things for granted or get a little down on ourselves when we aren't winning. I'm not saying I won't continue to work to get better than where I am now, but I've come a long way in the matter of 7 months and I am proud of that personally. Its great to be able to make a long list on paper of wins and race results, but the real point is to be able to grow personally as  a rider and enjoy your own results and accomplishments within yourself. At the end of the season, there are few people who view that paper list, and it basically comes down to you who cares about what you have done.  If that growth leads to the paper list that is even more icing on the cake! This season I started my winter base training at 50 watts of power. I can now hold 250 watts pretty easily. It doesn't take being a drt super coach to figure out that that is a huge change. That alone for me makes me pleased with where I am right now and helps put things in perspective about the struggles I have come through. I know cyclist get so critical of themselves so often and sometimes it bums me out to see people do that. Its hard to compare yourself to the people you race, but not so hard to compare yourself to you! Don't forget that. If you don't like how you are riding, then change it, because you can control that.

Right now I am transitioning into the mack daddy of all of cycling: cyclocross. I have recently done some crit races to get into the short, intense mode of cross, by hitting the Pancake crit, state champs, and am set to do the Downtown Warsaw crit this weekend. I will continue the mtb riding and racing for skills and endurance, winning the last 2 drt races and hope to add to that by winning France Dino. This coarse suits my flat, power style so I will give it all I can. Looks like Coach Don G has me getting a little "rest" in the schedule for this month by increasing my time on the bike with "easier" rides and has me laying off the intensity a little. The super sweet part is 'cross practice starts Aug 19th! I will be semi-leading a group at the Bike Depot in Fort Wayne on Wed evenings. Tim Hall has a dedicated  cx coarse with sand pit and all just waiting to  be used by us cx crazies. It's a great opportunity.  Everyone is welcome and should join us experienced or beginner. 

That's where the season is and will roll on until the end of cyclocross racing on Bend, OR in December. I have done many races and am blessed to get to do many more. I just hope my roll of winning continues. Regardless, I am happy where I am right now, but working everyday to add to my personal sense of accomplishment. Ride on and roll on!

1 comment:

Hawkeye said...

Hey Nicole
Glad to see you've come back around from the surgery(-ies) and are getting some great results.
I've been down a little bit this season with an Achilles injury, so I'm hoping to get turned around soon too.


Hope to see you at cross races this fall!