Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Carpe Diem!


We all have heard this phrase before from the poem by Horace. "Seize the Day!"

While I've always felt like I try and make the best use out of every moment, I would say I have always been more of a "future planner" kind of person. I look at where I'm at, what I need to do, and make plans accordingly for all steps of my life. If the plan I make fails, I plan another one... just that simple. But as of late I find that I am shifting into a more of a "live in the moment" kind of person. Maybe it's me getting older, but I have also found that my recent foot issues have lead me to not take even the most simple of acts (like standing) for granted and that you seriously never do know when one of those God given gifts may change or be taken away. I know it all sounds very cliche, but it is so true.

Right now, I feel like a ticking time bomb. Even though my plantar fasciitis is improving every week with therapy, the last steroid injection I had for the tarsal tunnel is seizing to help now. It's way sooner than we hoped for and I am going to try another injection to see if it may last a little longer this time. Basically, on any given week, this tarsal tunnel thing could escalate and put me out of commission for a while again, so I am enjoying every moment I have on my feet and on the bike. I feel, and enjoy each ride instead of acting like it is only a step to get me to race or goal "____." Yes, I do have some big goals for the future, but I have some pretty big plans for today too.

Carpe Diem my friends!

In other news, I have been trying out my new D2 custom shoes for the last couple weeks. These babies were build completely from my foot molds and measurements and it's a good thing too since of the 800 and some lasts that D2 had, my feet didn't match any of them! I would try and describe these kicks to you guys, but words won't do them justice since they 100% fit my feet. I may even go so far to say they are even better than my custom Indy Fabrication Steel Deluxe. By far my new most valued piece of cycling gear. Custom isn't anywhere near for everyone, but definitely what I was in need of with these crazy feet.

(Every girls loves new shoes!)

Otherwise, I had a nice family vacation to Florida this past week. I got in some warm rides and spent a lot of time playing in what Fl has to offer. I put some pics in below and will tell the vacation with them. One thing that really struck me from vacation was the drive back home as we came through Alabama that was struck with tornadoes a few days before. Never in my life have I witnessed such destruction. It's one thing to see the images on TV, but it made me feel really small to see the power of God in person. My prayers and thoughts go out to the people of Alabama, and the scenario of having your life instantly change by the power of a tornado definitely puts things in perspective.


Carpe Diem!

(My Sister Beth and I hanging out on the Emerald Coast)

(Fresh fish tacos after a ride! Yes, the coast was still beautiful, and didn't show any signs from the oil spill)

(Lots and lots of body boarding and surfing after my morning rides! Gave the arms a workout!)


(My Dad and I on grill duty after a fun day in the sun)

(The picture says it all!)

(Hope this sun comes north again some time soon!)

No comments: