Thursday, May 7, 2009

Fat and Skinny reports


So Fat and Skinny has come and gone for another year. The results for my "local" race were almost what I was shooting for, but I gave my best effort and that really is all I can ask. I started the weekend on Saturday with my first xc race of the year. I had a great competitor show up in Annajean Dallaire (who is pro) and I knew I would have to be on my game to stay close to her. She usually blows me away (last year) but I felt my legs were good and that since I had home court advantage I could hang. That's what I did for the first lap. Then on the second she turned up the high end and I just didn't have it yet. In the end she beat me out b
y around 2 minutes. I'm not too upset with this because I felt I had a good personal ride and did the best I could for where I'm at right now in my training. Besides being the first loser, I had a great time riding. I felt smooth and the conditions were pretty much perfect in every way. It really was a blessed day to be a mountain biker. 
Drt in general had a great mtb showing. Zach Edwards had a win in the expert class, Coach Don G. had a blazing ride for 3rd in the pro men, Mexlerworks Andy M. placed a top 5, and up and comer Josh J. bagged 5th in sport open. I can't state how stoked I am for Zach, he had a deserving win. 
After the race, I headed out to watch the road race finish up. My friend Anne Young was already finished and she ended up 5th for cat4. I was pleased with this for her also, since she was really improving her pack skills in the race. I also wanted to cheer for the local Hammerhead guys and they looked strong. Good to see you all out there!  Then Anne and I headed back to the Village, grabbed some primo food from Cerulean, and had a relaxing evening on the porch of the Clocktower going over the days events. It was a good end to the day. What a great time!

That night was a decider night for me as to whether I should do the crit the next morning or not. After seeing how the ankle was feeling, Don and I thought I could give it a try with a guarded effort in case the ankle became painful. We aren't pushing it too much since things are still healing up from surgery.
So I was really happy to be able to go to bed with thoughts of racing in front of my homies the next morning. 
Sunday warm up felt a little tight, but the legs came around quickly and I was ready to get going. The women's race had a super turnout and seems to be getting bigger every year. Great job of the organizers for getting more and more people to the community to see cycling. I stayed on for a couple laps until a 3 women break went, and I wasn't able to keep the pace and settled into leading the main pack for another 30 minutes by myself. The Alderfer girls did their job and slowed the pack to a crawl to block for their leader, but I become bored with the road games and just planned a personal TT. I felt strong and then things got a little shaky. Basically, girls got nervous and went down super hard and fast behind me. The bad part was that Anne was caught up in it and as I looked over my shoulder I could see her feet in the air and her head on the ground. Not good. I almost stopped dead in my tracks leaving 3 girls to gap me with 1 lap to go. No race is more important than  a good friend. I ended up finishing the last lap, very distracted, so I let the 3 girls ahead of me have their places and I finished in 7th. Probably not the coolest racing move to be distracted by a crash, but I care about people- its my job and my calling in life and I can't take that drive away. Big bummer for Anne (my riding partner) she had to be stretchered away in the ambulance, and thankfully came away with only some bad bruises and some things that could have been a lot worse. She has a broken wrist and will be out for awhile. She's a tough one thought so she will come back strong!

Otherwise, a good racing weekend for DRT and myself. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nic.

Demop here. (had to post as anonymous, since I don't have any of the blogging accounts to verify me, but not trying to hide one bit, so I wanted you to know up front it was me). Thanks for the post and your comments. I personally want to apologize for the lack of mention during your local race. That was uncalled for and I take responsibility for that. I was trying to help Rachel, the announcer, when I could, but later in the morning I put a volunteer there to be a runner for her so I could go get the Ortho Cup bikes ready. Either way, it should have been mentioned to her ahead of time. But want you to know it was a mistake due to the busyness of the weekend. And honestly has nothing to do with ass-kissing. I would not sit on the cycling clubs board if we were making that a part of our M.O. It was nothing more than a mistake I personally regret. I can honestly say without a doubt that I am stoked for all the local riders that get out and race and show up at their local events. That's why we put the festival on...to showcase our local enthusiasm for cycling - not only through our racers, but through spectator support and the vast list of community organizations that are proud to be a part of the event. It is what will continue to keep the trails open and grow the Greenway project and most importantly raise awareness in the community for cyclists, so we can safely share the roads without being targets for ignorant drivers. So, again I apologize for the lack of mention during the racing.

If you are racing the Downtown Days crit, I will learn from this mistake and be sure to go through the final start lists and pick out the local riders to be sure they are mentioned.

As for the "not feeling local" comment, though. I have to disagree with you and take offense to it. I am aware of the comments and shenanigans that can take place on the road during local rides and can only laugh sometimes, because it's just plain comical. I spent my whole life around bicycles and over 12 years in the bicycle industry. And can say, that I've never been around a group that can be more independent, individualistic, clique-driven than the bicycle industry - but it is what it is, and there are all kinds of groups and families within the bigger one - sounds a lot like life doesn't it. I've come to realize that "local" is what you make of it. Where your reasoning goes aray for me is in the personal responsibility for it. It's really been a while since I've seen you do a local time trial, or local trail work or been to a local club meeting, or even make any appearances locally to just say "hi" - relationships are what make you local. There are plenty of people in the community who feel local, but don't partake in the ass-kissing, and they don't ever feel like they have to fly the Aderfer Bergen colors to do so either. Open communication and honesty is all it takes. When you chose to ride for Hammerhead and then DRT that was your choice. But did you ever just say to anyone that throws the comments around, why you did it? Sometimes the best thing is honest communication with the "powers that be" (they are there in every local scene, those with influence have power - check out Seth Godin's book "Tribes" - very good read).

Regardless of the critics and local shenanigans on the road, I am still a Nicole Borem fan and have admired you since I moved here in 1997 and you were wrapping up a stellar BMX career.

Nic, I just wish you would show your local love back - be bigger than the naysayers and hypocrites. Don't let it get you down and just be around. Play a role locally, get involved again - no matter the name on it, or what the color of your jersey is. That's what truly makes you local.

We are not a perfect club, event promoter, organization, etc. - no one is - but we're willing to move forward with all our warts, faults and flaws, in hopes that we're learning from them and we're trying to make our community a better place through a passion we all share - cycling. I just would ask anyone that participates in the events or rides locally, what are they putting back into it, or are they just expecting something from it? We're not a dictatorship. We're just trying to do the best we can with what we have. And what we have is passionate people. So the passionate people that provide feedback, come out and work, support the local sponsors and let them know they appreciate them, are the ones that help shape the term "local".

Home is where the heart is. If your heart is elsewhere, then where have you been steering your heart?

I wish you and the DRT Team, as well as all local riders, no matter what team they ride for, the best this season.

I also hope that the animosity can be put aside and the enjoyment of riding and what our local scene has can be enjoyed by all.

Don't be a stranger.

Thanks Nicki for being part of the locals riding a bike - and doing it very well!

Demop